What it is:
This is a tremendously versatile recipe. It can be used as an appetizer, an accompaniment to a meal, or as a handy, take-along snack.
1 lb. fresh asparagus spears
8-10 slices of your favorite bacon
cracked black pepper (or other spices) to taste
salt to taste (if using a low-sodium bacon)
dipping sauce (if desired)
**This recipe can be scaled however you wish. If using large spears, simply use a ratio of 1⁄2 strip of bacon per spear. If using thin spears, use 1 strip of bacon per 3-4 spear bundle.
What you do:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Prep the asparagus by trimming off the tough portion of the spears (generally about the bottom inch) and peeling the stems if you desire.
3. Prep the bacon by slicing each strip in half vertically (length-wise), making each into two thinner strips. If you are using thin asparagus spears you don’t need to go through this step, as a full strip of bacon will wrap the entire bundle.
4. Wrap the bacon around the asparagus in a spiral starting just beneath the tips.
5. If you have a pan grate, place it on a foil-lined cookie or baking sheet with sides, then place the bacon wrapped asparagus on the grate (this will create a less greasy end-product)
6. Place the sheet in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the bacon is to your desired crispness.
7. Remove from the oven and season while hot.
8. Serve hot or allow to cool down to room temperature before serving, whichever is your preference.