Allergic reactions to asparagus
Unfortunately, as healthy as asparagus is, and as big a part it can be in healthy meals to lose weight, there is a negative aspect as well:
1,2,3-Trithiane-5-carboxylic acid, a sulfur-containing growth inhibitor, is the allergen which affects most people causing contact dermatitis. It appeared to be present mainly in the early phase of the growth season, first reported in 1880, and was suffered from by asparagus pickers, canners, and chefs–essentially anyone who handled the asparagus raw.
Like with so many other foods, an asparagus allergy presents itself in several ways including:
- Fingertip dermatitis, which can affect the entire hand
- Contact urticaria, the swelling or tingling of the lips or tongue after eating asparagus
- Conjunctivitis, the inflammation or infection of the eyelids
- Rhinitis, the irritation of the membrane inside the nose
- Asthma or other respiratory issues
Fortunately, the allergen which causes asparagus allergy is unstable and destroyed by heat. Because of this, it is possible to still be able to enjoy this vegetable simply by cooking it properly and avoiding eating it raw.
In extreme cases, exposure to asparagus can be deadly. Like the serious reactions some people have to fish or nuts, simply consuming other foods that have come in contact with, or being in close proximity to asparagus can send a person into anaphylactic shock.
It’s of the utmost importance to be prepared if you happen to suffer from asparagus allergy.